Home > Adversity, assault, Awareness & Prevention, Child abuse, Children, Education, Murder, rape, Sex Offenders, Sexual Assault and Rape > Teghan Alyssa Skiba; Wake County, NC…CPS – No Reports Of Abuse Before Girl’s death…

Teghan Alyssa Skiba; Wake County, NC…CPS – No Reports Of Abuse Before Girl’s death…

July 28, 2010

Teghan Alyssa Skiba; Wake County, NC…CPS – No Reports Of Abuse Before Girl’s death…

Raleigh, N.C. — Wake County Child Protective Services received no reports of suspected abuse or neglect of 4-year-old Teghan Skiba prior to her July 19 death, according to a Wake County Human Services report released Wednesday.

Teghan, who had cuts, lacerations, bite marks, head trauma and sexual assault injuries, died at UNC Hospitals in Chapel Hill.

Her mother’s boyfriend, Jonathan Douglas Richardson, 21, of 750 Old Sanders Road, is accused of torturing the girl in a Smithfield barn where they were living. He is charged with first-degree murder and child abuse.

Johnston County Child Protective Services did not investigate the case because it did not know the girl was living in Smithfield, according to the report.

“Johnston County had judged that the mother and child’s residence was in Wake County with Teghan’s maternal grandmother.”

Teghan’s mother, Helen Reyes, left the girl with Richardson on July 6 while she went to New Mexico for military training, according to the report.

Richardson took Teghan to Johnston Memorial Hospital in Smithfield on July 16 and initially claimed that the girl had fallen off a bed. He later told a detective that he “became upset” with Teghan for soiling the air mattress where they slept. Hospital workers reported the case to authorities, and the girl was taken to UNC Hospitals.

A Wake County Child Protective Services social worker and her supervisor drove to UNC Hospitals where they were met by a physician who briefed them on Teghan’s injuries. The girl “was not conscious, and the physician was not sure she would live through the night,” according to the report.

The social worker and supervisor interviewed Reyes who reported that she and Teghan had lived with Richardson in the barn on his grandparents’ property for four weeks prior to her leaving for training in New Mexico, according to the report.

A hospital physician reported that an exam on July 19 found Teghan “to be brain dead and that she would be pronounced dead later in the day if a second exam had the same findings,” according to the report. Teghan died later that day.

Johnston County investigators seized an array of items from the barn where Richardson and Teghan were staying, from a 2001 GMC pickup Richardson used to take the girl to the hospital and from the house where Richardson’s grandparents live. The barn, which is on the grandparents’ property, had no running water or bathroom.

Items seized included an air mattress, a condom wrapper, a shotgun, a rifle, ammunition, knives, a camera, duct tape pieces, a green, leafy substance, drug paraphernalia, guitar string and a drop cord, according to a warrant.

Richardson told detectives he “lost it” and whipped the girl with a cord after she urinated and defecated in the bed they were sharing, according to search warrants. He explained that he is “bipolar and little things set him off.”

Johnston County Sheriff Steve Bizzell said the investigation into Teghan’s death is ongoing and that others might be indicted in the case.

“There is the possibility of others being charged. We’ll continue to work on it and go from there, but I will tell you that anybody that had a part directly or indirectly that meets the elements of a crime could be charged,” he said.

Respectfully submitted via WRAL ABC Raleigh, NC

%d bloggers like this: